For Atlantica, the protection of the ecosystem is a critical issue for global sustainability; we intend to promote its conservation as an essential means for environmental, economic and social progress.
With this policy implementation we emphasize our commitment to protecting biodiversity, consequently minimizing and having “no net loss”, or, a “net positive impact”, on biodiversity conservation in areas where we operate.
At Atlantica, we are aware that our assets can cause interactions with various ecosystems, landscapes and species. The Company therefore commits to promoting the biodiversity of the ecosystems, allowing balanced co-existence, and conserving, protecting and promoting the development and growth of the natural ecosystem.
Our goal is to minimize and/or compensate any potential negative impacts that our activities may have on biodiversity.
We seek to:
- Identify biodiversity priority areas and avoid operating in areas with the highest biodiversity value.
- Maintain biodiversity preservation in the strategy of the Company, including in investment decisions.
- Apply a preventive approach to minimize the impacts of new infrastructure on biodiversity, bearing in mind the entire life cycle of the asset.
- Promote the offset of impacts caused by the Company’s activities and the restoration of natural resources: “no net loss” or “net positive impact” on biodiversity conservation in the communities where we operate (e.g., through land rehabilitation)
- Set targets and deadlines related to biodiversity.
- Continuously supervise and assess our impact on biodiversity to minimize our impact.
- Work to meet or exceed laws and regulations related to biodiversity.
- Continue identifying and implementing best practices appropriately.
- Collaborate with governments, local communities, civil organizations and other biodiversity stakeholders in biodiversity conservation, awareness and research when appropriate.
- Transparently report key measures taken on biodiversity.
The monitoring and accomplishment of this Biodiversity Policy is reviewed by senior management in the Business Committees.